Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mexican Corn Chowder

This meal is one of my favorites to make and to eat.  It's been a bargaining chip for any favors I ask of people:
Me: "Will you help me move this weekend?"
Everyone: "Yeah, but only if you make me some chowder."

It's a good thing this recipe is easy.

Mexican Corn Chowder

- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (4 breasts usually work)
- 2 cans of creamed corn
- 1 can of chopped green chiles
- 16 oz. half & half
- 2 cups colby cheese (shredded colby is hard to find sometimes, so the Mexican blend works just as well)
- 1/2-1 tablespoon Cumin
- salt
- hot sauce

Melt the butter in a stock pot or dutch oven on medium high heat and cook the garlic, onion and chicken for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked (I usually put the onions in first, I hate the taste of onions and cook them down to almost nothing).  Turn down to medium heat.  Combine the rest of the ingredients and cook until hot. 

Add more cumin, salt or hot sauce to taste.  Serve with extra cheese and tortilla chips, if you'd like!

2 comments:

HMiller said...

get out your sumbrearos or however you spell them. I shall cruntch up fritos in it!

the Flying Critics said...

Butter AND cheese ... my cholesterol is rising as I read it. Sounds yummy, though.

Post a Comment