Monday, October 3, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

I can't claim to have created this recipe, and neither can my mother (who I got this from), but neither of us know where it came from. It happens, okay? I'm sorry.

Anyway, for my festive fall meal that I prepared for the Mitchells, I wanted to do a squash soup.  I know a lot of people are wary of the squash, but it is so good. Very mild and when prepared like this, creamy and delicious.



I didn't even attempt to cut the squash myself. I made sure the boyfriend did that for me. 
Cleaning it out was so fun. Very similar to pumpkin carving. 
Also, thank God for garbage disposals. 
Beautiful, aren't they? But very intimidating.
Just like Karen Gillan. Yes, I went there.
I do love the color veggies get from roasting.
I think I might like roasted vegetables more than fried food.

...I know, okay? I know.

Here's the ingredient that got me excited for this recipe: apples. Apples and apple cider are both included. I think there's something in me that will not look over apples. I just love them so.

This is a huge measuring cup. I had to feature it. 
That's chicken broth. Vegetable broth would be easily substituted to make it vegetarian/vegan friendly.
This is what the soup looks like before you puree it.
Never make the mistake of blending too much warm liquid at a time. I did that once. 
It wasn't pretty. 
And after blending! Pretty, isn't it?

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
  • Cut one large butternut squash in half and de-seed with a spoon. (You can either peel the squash now or after roasting, it's your call)
  • Cut into 8 total pieces, then drizzle with olive oil, and roast at 350 for one hour.
  • Heat one teaspoon oil in a pot, add one chopped onion and sauté.
  • Add squash, four cloves of crushed garlic and one peeled, cored and chopped apple, 5 cups chicken broth, one cup apple cider and one teaspoon of salt.
  • Simmer for 30 minutes, until apple is soft.
  • Puree in blender (a little at a time, seriously!)
  • Throw in any spices you see fit. (I used cumin, cinnamon, pepper and I can't even remember what else)
  • Garnish with sour cream.
I used the soup as a first course, and then made this for the main course. It was super easy, and very good. Pork really absorbs flavors without marinating. I love that.

I'm certain Meredith will have pictures from the dinner itself posted soon. I may post a few here when she gets them up, but for the full feature, go to her blog soon.

No, go there now. It's a good read.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you compared squash to Karen Gillan, haha. Love it!

Post a Comment